Booking an all-inclusive vacation does not have to also mean that you are taking a vacation from healthy eating habits. Here are some tips for tackling the buffets and coming home feeling relaxed AND healthy:
- Research Local Specialties- In a foreign country, we sometimes encounter dishes that look delicious but are otherwise a mystery. Knowing how they are made will make it easier for you to manage your meals when you are there.
- Healthier Happy Hour – Stay away from cocktails that are creamy or have a high sugar content. Drinks made with pure fruit juices are a good alternative, and staying hydrated with water throughout the day is a must. Some good choices include Sangria, a Marguerita, or a Mohito.
- Breakfast Buffets – The huge selection of carbs can be tempting, but try heading to the fruit section first. Tropical delicacies like Mango, Pineapple, Melon and Papaya are a real treat, and are also excellent fuel for your body!
- The Evening Meal – The huge and tempting selection, and the small amount of time for digestion before bedtime can really get us into trouble. Try the salads first, and avoid creamy sauces, breading, and fried food. Tropical seafood can be a real delight, and it is healthy too. Freshly grilled or barbeques dishes can be a good choice, as can meats marinated in local spices, such as Jerk Chicken. Yes, you are on vacation, but common sense and self control are still important.
- Be Careful – in destinations or properties where potable water is not available (other than bottled), avoid lettuce and fruits that you cannot peel yourself.
- The Dreaded Dessert Buffet – One sweet dessert is temptation enough, but the dessert buffet can be a killer. If you just have to try more than one of the choices, take very small portions. Also, I can’t say enough about the fruit… a great choice for dessert as well!
- Stay Active – You are bound to ingest at least a few extra calories while away, and you can counteract that by doing some sort of physical activity at lease once or twice a day. It’s not that hard – go for a walk on the beach, participate in some of the organized hotel activities, go snorkelling and swimming, or even pop into the hotel gym.
Now that you know your vacation won’t necessarily explode your wasteline, contact me to help find the ideal resort at the best price for you!
No related posts.