How to Save Money While Travelling
Travel can be expensive, but with a little thought and planning, you can really minimize your costs and travel more! Here are some tips:
- You don’t need to pay big bucks for water. Take an empty bottle through security and fill it at a water fountain.
- Research current local currency exchange rates so you can shop for the best rate and avoid being scammed.
- Eat breakfast at your hotel if it is offered. Save your restaurant expenses for the other meals.
- Other than a few exceptions, don’t wait until the last minute to book. Flights, hotels, and cruises often go up in price closer to departure.
- Use a Travel Agent! They can save you money by finding the best deal, looking out of promotions, and getting you added value.
- Pack snacks such as fruit, sandwiches or granola bars at a local grocery store or bring some with you from home. You can avoid overpriced airline and airport food.
- Book a room with a kitchenette so that you can prepare your own meals and refrigerate some drinks.
- Avoid tourist trap souvenir shops. Try to look more off the beaten path for local treasures.
- Use the hotel’s in room coffee maker to make hot water for instant soup or oatmeal.
- If you can afford it, travelling in poor economic times can be very cost-effective. Travel companies need to fill buses, hotels, cruises ships and planes, and will often discount deeply to make it happen.